Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Tribute to my sister, Launa

March 2009 - Becky, Luke, Launa
Launa has always been and will forever be two years older than me.
I spent a lot of time in my growing up years trying to figure out how I could close that age gap. I wanted to do the things she was doing and have the friends that she had. When I reached second grade and had Mrs. Hart, who was also a member of our church, for my teacher, I thought maybe my chance to time-jump had come and that she would let me ‘skip’ a grade putting me one year closer to my ‘idol-ed’ big sister. Unfortunately, Mrs. Hart’s theme was always to use my own ‘initiative’ rather than relying on her mercy to speed up my academic age. Obviously, I didn’t have enough initiative because Launa still graduated two years before I did, and now many years later is more than years ahead of me in her wisdom and gentleness of spirit: attributes that aren’t measured in earthly years.
Growing up in Idaho Falls, Launa blazed the trail for me. She was beautiful, talented, popular. I would introduce myself as Becky Heninger, but more importantly, I would always add that I was Launa Heninger’s sister. She could always make her hair look so perfectly ‘stylish.’ My hair usually looked perfectly ‘boyish’ despite my best efforts. We both took dancing lessons – Launa was a natural and I fumbled my way along. She was always the better horsewoman – I just got lucky because I had a better trained horse. Launa ran for school offices and won. She was secretary of the 9th grade. When I reached 9th grade, I was an ‘also ran’ for the same office. She was homecoming princess in the same grade – I didn’t even make the cut. I remember watching her ride the float in the Homecoming Parade and dreaming big dreams for doing the same.
Despite my setbacks, I didn’t give up. I still wanted to be just like Launa. Years later that is still my quest. Launa was president of the Young Women in her ward, and when I was able to be just like her in that respect, she was my resource and inspiration. I think I copied all of her files and ideas and she generously shared them. Every time I am around her I realize just how much there is to Launa. She has allowed herself to be taught and molded through her life experiences. I remember her joking once that if trials count for wisdom, then she should be one of the smartest people around! Well, I think she is. I remember being with her in Oregon when our older sister, Susan, was sick. Launa just intuitively knew the right thing to do and say to comfort Sue. I thought to myself, ‘When I am sick, I want Launa to come and take care of me.’
When Launa has hard times, she still maintains her sense of humor which invariably makes the tough going a little easier. She called the Nelson family’s last Thanksgiving together before Bill left, ‘The last supper!’ She gave me some great counsel on marriage a few years ago when we were driving to Canada for Dominion Day. I asked her how she was able to manage the difficulties in her marriage and still be happy, and she wisely said, ‘I choose to focus on Bill’s positive qualities.’
Lately I’ve been asking Launa how she is able to have the energy to be help raise young grandchildren at time in her life when she should be pampering herself – taking it a little easier. I want to have Launa’s energy, her compassion, her love. Launa loves her children and loves their children and wants the best for them – and she is willing to be an instrument in that process. Launa has the gift of charity – you see it in her actions and you see it in her eyes. She has received His image in her countenance and in who she has become. She is someone I love to be around – she is someone I love deeply. I hope I can be just like her someday!

3 comments:

Connie said...

What a wondrful tribute to your special sister. I remember the time I came to visit you in Georgia and Launa was there. We went forour usual walk and she was the sweetest person. So concerned about everyone around her. You are lucky to have an older sister to look up to. Wait, I have you!
Love, Connie

The Allred Family said...

That was so sweet. I really enjoyed reading that and I could totally relate. I felt the same way about the twins. I was always "their sister" adn that helped me the socal scheme of things. :) Launa is an AMAZING person and I get that impression every time I see her.

Patti said...

That was really thoughtful. Sisters are truly the best in ways that are hard to explain, but you do so very eloquently. Her sense of humor about being single and dating was very much appreciated when I was there for breakfast with you all. She made me feel comfortable. She really made an impression.